Saturday, November 6, 2010

Creative Writing Club

At school, I am trying to establish a Creative Writing club with my professor (since you have to have one present.) On Monday, I am supposed to offer him ideas and reasons for this club to exist since I will be the president. Other than the love for writing, I wanted to start this club for people who were serious about writing. I wanted there to be a place for writers to go to when we needed critiquing, advice, motivation, etc. Also, I thought we could contribute to a children's hospital and combine a short-story to read/give to them since other clubs collect food cans, or stuffed animals. Compared to my Geography club that isn't enough reason to start the club.

Therefore, I have come to the most influenced writers, you guys. What ideas do you have?

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, Idk. Your reasons seem more than good enough to start a CW Club. Is the teacher you have in mind very enthusiastic about creative writing? Maybe another teacher would fight for it more? Anyway, it's a great idea.I wish I'd had one. Oh, and I gave you an award on my blog on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good reasons to me! Meeting other aspiring writers, sharing work, improving, cheering each other on. Perhaps you can add cw assignments? Study examples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very noble idea. Now, I'm not so sure what sort of theme you might want to consider as a short story for the children. Perhaps, you could incorporate your various interests into a story the children could well relate too.
    Anyway, I wish you well with this and have a peaceful and pleasant week.
    In kindness, Gary:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love of writing and like-minded people isn't enough reason to start a writing club? Clearly I'm missing some important element of the concept of "club" here.

    I don't think you need to invent reasons just to satisfy your professor. You have excellent reasons already. It sounds more like he just can't be bothered.

    My 2 cents, for what it's worth: don't expect to carry the whole burden yourself. If you are thinking of starting a club, do you have others who are also interested? If so, get together with them to come up collectively with ideas for getting it off the ground. Show your professor that you have support. If you can't find like-minded people willing to share that load, then you'd have a hard time starting it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suggest getting young people involved with writing. Instead of giving your words to people in need try getting people in need to write their own words. Raise money to pay for print costs. Then host a contest in local high schools and/or children's hospitals. Print the best poems and stories in an anthology, to be given free to participants, but sold to everyone else.

    As for group meetings, you could alternate who leads the meeting. One person per meeting would be in charge of bringing up a topic or activity and moderating.

    Hope you get your club started!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?